Modern Cooperage believes that responsible manufacturing procedures and equipment are essential to our commitment of global responsibility. We are committed to environmental sustainability and provide a convenient solution to meet growing demand for high-quality oak while using fewer natural resources.
Liquid Penetration of a Traditional Oak Stave
Liquid Penetration of a Modern Cooperage Stave
94% Less Wood:
• The Modern Cooperage barrel system and rack technology uses 1 / 13th of the amount of oak as a traditional oak barrel to achieve same oak exposure.
• Overall traditional stave thickness is 25-27mm, any thinner and barrels will not be able to withstand the weight of a stack of full wine barrels on the bottom barrels. Because wine will only ever penetrate to a depth not greater than 4mm into a stave, this means that only about 10% - 15% of the stave can ever be accessed by the wine inside the barrel (see Fig 1).
• The Modern Cooperage stave is about 8mm thick, allowing for maximum use of oak transference (see Fig 2).
• The relative cost of 100% new French oak in a Modern Cooperage barrel is about $70, about 1 / 13th the cost of a top French oak barrel.
• A 100 - 150 year old oak tree will yield enough usable wood for between 2 and 4 traditional barrels. That same tree will yield enough usable wood to supply 210 Modern Cooperage barrels with 100% stave loading.
75% Less Water Used:
• Modern Cooperage barrels can be steam cleaned / sanitized with existing winery equipment.
• Barrel washing is one of the most water intensive operations at the winery. Our stainless steel barrel can be easily steam cleaned / sanitized using up to 75% less water than even the most low volume washers available today.
• You will never need to soak a Modern Cooperage barrel or swell up / leak test new barrels, allowing you to further conserve water.
Tom Beard Auto Barrel Cleaning Comparison
* Modern Cooperage barrel is also sanitized in the steam cleaning process.
Back to Top
© 2014 MODERN COOPERAGE, LLC | 2360 MENDOCINO AVENUE STE A2-309, SANTA ROSA, CA 95403 | 866.519.6301